View Single Post
Old 11-27-2019, 09:17 AM   #15 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I reattached the bumper on Monday

I used a soldering iron to melt a piece of aluminum drywall patch into the bumper, and then melted scrap plastic (the same type as the bumper) onto the mesh. I sanded, drilled holes, and reattached. Close-up of each patch:

I need to remove the Gorilla Tape, take off the bumper again, sand down the patches, hit them with an adhesion promoter, primer, and body-matched paint, as well as fill in the scratches, sand, and apply adhesion promoter, primer, and paint.

One issue is that I cut the aluminum mesh by the tire a little too big, so I need to carefully trim that before I can hide it.

My 1,300 watt plastic welder from Harbor Freight stopped blowing hot so I used a 25-watt wood burner, which did not seem to provide enough heat and the first tip fell out while I was using it. I realized that I had a 40-watt LED soldering iron that I do not remember buying. This 80-watt plastic welder may have worked better than anything that I used, but Harbor Freight closed before I got there Saturday night, and did not open early enough Monday morning. That plastic welder also comes with steel mesh, which would at least be stronger than the aluminum patch that I used. The bumper is polypropylene and so is this cheap plastic folder that I bought.

This seems to work great, just make sure that you trim the mesh a little smaller than the patch that you need so that the edges are not exposed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9Z9z632.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	27248   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bumper patch.png
Views:	143
Size:	594.1 KB
ID:	27249  

Last edited by Xist; 11-28-2019 at 01:22 PM..