View Single Post
Old 11-30-2019, 07:37 PM   #56 (permalink)
93tracerwagon
EcoModding Lurker

I managed nearly 50mpg at about 62 mph in my 93 Tracer wagon

I closed off the upper grill completely, closed off most of the lower grill, closed off any air leaks around the radiator ( headlight openings etc) so all air coming through the grill went into the radiator, except for one opening to cool the alternator. I installed an air dam down to the level of the lowest hanging components and then ran a belly pan from the air dam back to about the middle of the front wheels. I had a partial belly pan in the back too, but the front belly pan made a huge difference in mileage and vehicle stability. With these upgrades, with an auto trans, my mileage jumped from 32 on the highway to about 47 highway. In both cases I was traveling behind a semi at about 62 mph. During my 700 mile trip with the new bellypan, a semi trailer tire blew out and the debris damaged the front right corner. I could immediately feel a considerable increase in drag. From the EPA info, and how the car can see big increases in mileage from aero improvements, the engine has to run lean burn. If the 96 isn't lean burn, you may be able to switch in the earlier ECU and maybe MAF to allow lean burn.