View Single Post
Old 12-09-2019, 01:58 PM   #86 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Sling load, sky chariot...

We had a class on that before we deployed. The NCOIC told us that we could send one helio instead of a full convoy, but when he finished, he quietly mentioned the helio could only transport one load at a time. A convoy might involve three or thirty vehicles, but we could carry far more!

I never saw combat, but I had one convoy where we came under fire. I just never saw it. I never heard it, either. We were traveling with the Afghan National Police (or Army, I forget) and the bad guys were shooting at the local forces (in unarmored Ford Rangers). They blew up three of our gun trucks, but as we drove from 1800 to 0600, all that I knew was that I needed to keep my M1083 MTV behind the truck in front of me, and I periodically got stuck, but somehow I eventually got free each time.

Three times I heard a pop and saw a flash and some rocks move. I asked the Soldier riding with me if that was an IED and he responded "I don't know!"

When we rolled through the gate I hopped out to clear my weapon and saw that three of our trucks were blown up. "What happened to you guys?!"
"We hit IEDs! Where the heck were you?!"

Fortunately, our MRAPs did their job, and our Soldiers were okay, but it is crazy that while people around me fought for their lives, I just thought "Man I am tired!" and "Come on! Don't get stuck!"

My point is that was my only convoy where we had action. It was also my only convoy where we left the hardball. A riverbed is a natural path through the environment, but you cannot pick up a piece of asphalt, hide an IED, and put back the asphalt like nothing happened. Also, we drove for twelve hours, but it was a shockingly short distance away.

How would that have gone with an Aviation unit? Load the sling, sing the M*A*S*H theme, drop the load, and fly back?

Additional notes: I later got stuck in the motorpool (!) and a dang civilian showed me the tire inflation system. I always wondered what that box did! So, I probably should have reduced the tire pressure when we first entered the riverbed, and I might never have gotten stuck!

Second, I just saw a picture of a Chinook transporting an M1078, so its carrying capacity should not be minimized.