Thread: Folding Aerocap
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2019, 05:47 PM   #31 (permalink)
Tahoe_Hybrid
Master EcoModder

2020 - '08 Chevy Tahoe H
Last 3: 18.4 mpg (US)

2021 - '08 Chevy Tahoe H
90 day: 17.08 mpg (US)

2022 - '08 chevy Tahoe LT
Last 3: 14.38 mpg (US)

2023 - '08 Chevy Tahoe
Last 3: 22.61 mpg (US)

2024 - '08 Chevy Tahoe
90 day: 22.35 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Armadillo View Post
Hello Everyone -

This is the latest version of the Aerocap that I am working on for my truck. It consists of steel frame which is covered by a nylon/ canvas type material. The steel frame folds up similar to how a car's convertible top works and this Aerocap goes from "open" to "closed" in seconds. In the open position I have full access to the truck bed and I can load large items. This Aerocap can be completely disassembled and stored in a corner of the garage. It takes about 15 to 20 minutes to assemble/disassemble this Aerocap and it weighs roughly 40 or 50 pounds. I will be building a new version of this Aerocap soon as I would like to make some changes to the linkages of the steel frame and use a thicker, convertible type material for the top. I want to make sure the material is pulled tighter and the wrinkles are removed.

Here is a picture of the Aerocap closed:

I would like to get any feedback from you guys (and girls) and any suggestions would be appreciated. Any thoughts on the aerodynamics of flexible materials, such as nylon canvas and convertible top material?

More pictures and info to come....
tooo much blind spots

The Following User Says Thank You to Tahoe_Hybrid For This Useful Post:
aerohead (12-14-2019)