View Single Post
Old 12-10-2019, 09:05 PM   #18 (permalink)
Interstatement
EcoModding Lurker

On my 2WD Ranger, I switched from 225/70R15 Goodyears on 15x7 steel rims to 215/70R16 Continental CrossContact LX25s (with “EcoPlus+ Technology” whatever that means exactly) on 16x7 alloy rims. I went this route for several reasons:

-The steelies were a lousy design that had stainless steel face glued to the fronts, which Ford did on many wheels. Unfortunately, this design traps moisture and salt, so the rims were rusting out. The rims weighed about 27 lbs. on a bathroom scale.

-225/70R15 is slipping toward obscurity as a tire size. Choices are limited and underwhelming.

-215/70R16 is the tire size for many popular compact SUVs and crossovers, so more choices, including LRR varieties, are available. Rolling diameter is pretty close, about 4/10 of an inch taller— within the tolerance of treadwear.

-16x7 rims that fit my Ranger were made in vast quantities for Rangers, Explorers, Mustangs, and Crown Victorias, to name a few. The Ranger/Explorer alloys I got cheap on Craigslist weighed 17 lbs. each on the same bathroom scale, a 10 lb. savings per wheel!

Uncorrected MPG figures are basically unchanged, which is actually a slight improvement, given that the new wheels are .4” taller than the old ones. The most dramatic difference is that the truck handles markedly better, especially in wet conditions! The rear wheels used to break loose at the drop of a hat in a drizzle, whereas I can now downshift on a wet curve without wagging its tail.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Interstatement For This Useful Post:
Ecky (12-10-2019), freebeard (12-10-2019)