View Single Post
Old 12-11-2019, 02:47 AM   #7943 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,387 Times in 3,361 Posts
I went on a Fireside Chats with Dennis Prager binge, and the 1 thing he mentioned on the subject (so far in what I've listened to) is that if the problem is so dire, why is practically nobody acting in a manner that reflects that reality? Beachfront property should be on a fire sale if it's so threatened.

Admittedly, effects that are 100 years away won't necessarily be reflected in the here and now. Still, the changes encountered over the last 100 years are likely to continue into the future, and there's a question as to why those similar changes that hardly anyone noticed will become a huge catastrophe in the future. For instance, sea level has risen something like 10" in the past 100 years, and is projected to rise similarly in the next 100 years. When very old people share what was the worst thing to happen to them in their lifetime, they don't mention the 1 degree rise in temperature and the 10" sea level rise.

That doesn't mean there won't be problems from an accelerated climate change, only that those that hype it to the forefront of humanity's problems are either profoundly ignorant, or profoundly corrupt (I tend to assume ignorance in the absence of compelling evidence of corruption).

BTW- my other musing on the subject was in regards to the political leaning of the scientific community. A Google search brought up this HuffPo article that said "Only six percent of America’s scientists identify themselves as Republicans; fifty-five percent call themselves Democrats."

Science, like reporting, is supposed to deliver the facts and leave the interpretation and values to the listeners. With biases like these, what chance do we have of just getting the facts?

I find this subject incredibly boring because nobody will be talking about it 20 years from now. I'd rather be talking about genetic engineering, and how that's going to mess with everything because it's a frontier we've barely scratched the surface on. The ethical debate on if your car should be forced to get 40 MPG instead of 30 will pale in comparison to designing your children to order, for instance, and the further class division it will produce.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 12-11-2019 at 03:04 AM..

The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (12-11-2019)