View Single Post
Old 12-14-2019, 03:27 PM   #85 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
I consider mowing the lawn work because there is not value returned. I spend time and money simply to fight the natural state.

I prefer to seek beauty hiking a mountain pass, fishing in a stream, sailing a quiet lake, etc. I find no enjoyment pushing around a loud lawn mower.

A garden is completely different than a lawn. I have no issue planting and tending a garden or maintaining our fruit trees. That work has reward.

To each their own. I had an uncle that loved tending his lawn. He would walk it at least once a week killing individual weeds with an eye dropper. To me cutting lawns is work. (Maybe because it was one of my chores growing up and because I made money cutting lawns in my high school and college days.)

Sounds like time for an ophthalmologist. Vision problem. As with plenty of others here and everywhere it seems.

A lawn is simply part of the garden. Or connects different types. It’s the backdrop. The context. Square one.

I take it “you” (whomever) live in a brick chicken coop. Housing. Not, “home”.

And expect your car to change your circumstances. (Dead-wrong thinking; as it’s not rational).

As an adult I’d imagine any religious sensibility is different than that of childhood. So, too, here. Same words, but matured (broadened, deepened) meaning.

Making the job easy is the first step: Layout.

Second is best equipment for size (region plus storage).

Third is that it’s not a job separate from other duties. The household exterior always needs a looking-over. Walking around it doesn’t suffice as one is never in the flow of neighborhood breezes or events. Some birds are early. Some are late. Cats have a routine of wandering. So do dogs. Some of which you may wish to alter.

Your presence is required. “Presence”, in that only the stupid think a gym membership a good idea when anyone with a decent-sized hard can accomplish the tangible benefits of a workout. See results that aren’t born of selfishness.

The idea of isolation being a component of Beauty is also a half-step. A garden is where one can entertain. Offer hospitality. Teens hide. Adults invite.

Wealth is people. Not abstractions. Not money. The concrete here & now.

A lawnmower is a tool. Chosen well it can last a couple of decades. I’ve had several that did. And those machines never had a week off, were sometimes in action 2X weekly. Cutting grass or maybe vacuuming. Sometimes both.

The first year needs a plan. Powered aeration after layout, delivery of a compost/mulch mixture and correction of high/low spots. Is how I’ve learned to do it. Can be “work”. (So?). Done well there no longer any difficulty in mowing where one never needs stop. It’s just a walk. A flow.

Everyone wants an excuse. Their home, after all. And it’s why those houses are nearly always sad as hell to “see”. Drugs & video screen indoors with A/C to escape it.

What is it you do to improve your neighborhood? Tackle the alleyway? Dig out the grass growing in the street? Elderly neighbors who don’t have the energy to attend to tougher tasks? Fence repairs?

Do these make for a pleasant weekend? It’s at the heart of “living”. Invite those neighbors for a drink. Get them reacquainted.

Being a common sight on your street is advantageous 10-fold to perceptions.