View Single Post
Old 12-18-2019, 01:37 PM   #276 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
Saves 1000 pounds really? And thick steel panels and bullet proof glass probably saves more compared to the aluminum modern F150. This is the fairy stuff I'm talking about, along with suddenly a 200% improvement in battery weight. There is no way the Cybertruck is going to weight less than a long Range Model X and it's lightweight unibody aluminum construction while it's going to need twice the battery to get 500 miles of range. So you have a Model X with twice the battery, steel instead of aluminum, big LT mud tires instead of highway radials, bullet proof glass, worse Cd, more frontal aera, things like sliding ramps strong enough to hold an atv and rider, have the ability to carry 3500 pounds, but weigh about 5200 pounds? Oh and BTW its 1/2 the price. If all that is possible they are raping people on the Model X.
It will start at 6200 pounds for the standard range 2wd and be over 7000 pounds for the 3 motor 4wd. Mark my words.
Volvo research discovered distinct performance differences between BEVs and ICE vehicles,as a function of mass.There is a sweet-spot at which more mass is an advantage with respect to regen.There's simply more kinetic energy to harvest on deceleration with the heavier vehicle.Downhill can be harvested.
The constant BSFC of an electric motor doesn't suffer the transient 'map-dancing' of an ICE,so they don't suffer the same inefficiencies during acceleration.
On the open road,aerodynamic forces dominate power consumption.I can double the weight of a trailer and still get better mpg if the trailer aerodynamics are right.My trailer doesn't use any power at all!
I don't believe that it really matters what Cybertruck weighs.It's physics and thermodynamics are in a different realm.
I am convinced that Cybertruck would benefit with an air deflector when trailer pulling,depending on the rig.That goes for all rigs as well.Simply angling up a tonneau cover on a 2007 Tundra increased mpg,from 9 mpg,to 11.5 mpg average, when pulling a Layton,Skyline,196 LT tandem axle RV travel trailer.
Cybertruck is around 38.5 sq-ft frontal area,and drag factor,potentially as low as CdA 10.827 sq-ft.Some are saying 69.595 mpg-e HWY.