View Single Post
Old 12-23-2019, 01:24 AM   #266 (permalink)
freddyzdead
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
I was under that impression as well. Hard to know what to make of all of the Amazon customer images of LiFePO4 batteries which caught on fire when they're not supposed to be able to.

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tende...70_&dpSrc=srch

Edit: my electrical theory is a bit weak but isn't it the case that since capacitors self-discharge, leaving one connected to the battery all the time would eventually drain it?
The self-discharge of capacitor bank is very small. I have charged an 83F one to 15 volts and left it standing. A week later it was at 13.8. The car itself would drain it a lot more than that. I have had such a capacitor bank and a LiFePo4 battery in my little Daihatsu Copen for nearly 2 years now, and it hasn't missed a beat. I happen to be blessed to live somewhere that doesn't freeze, so I don't have any concerns about charging. I did accidently flatten it once, though, and that is a problem. Some people gave me a push, and it wouldn't clutch start. I wasn't expecting that. I now have a jumpstart pack in the glove box, in case that ever happens again. No, I don't know either, where those pictures of flaming LiFePo4 batteries come from.