View Single Post
Old 12-24-2019, 11:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,391 Times in 3,365 Posts
I came across that JD Power link while researching the new mild-hybrid Wrangler. Apparently the 48v system is good for a 2 MPG improvement, which sounds not spectacular until you realize that's a 10% improvement on what is normally a 20 MPG vehicle.

The original thread was about an EV owner that pointed out to a Wrangler owner that the parking spot they took was for hybrid and alternative vehicles only, to which the owner responded that their Jeep was a hybrid.

I owned a 2002 Jeep Liberty for about 3 years. Maybe I averaged 20 MPG even though I'd drive at the slowest speed that the top gear would lock up in, which was 60 MPH. It developed a evap leak which was easy to fix with some tubing, and the 4WD sensor stopped working and it ended up being fairly easy to replace. I consider myself lucky that those were the only issues I had to deal with. I found a 9mm bullet in the wheel once from being parked at a trailhead. Either people didn't like Jeep, or they just shoot at tires indiscriminately.

I see some people on EV forums saying they bought a Tesla M3 or a new Chevy Bolt to save money. I suppose buying a Chevy Bolt saves money if the other consideration was a Porsche. I would just be suspicious if their top priority in a vehicle is to save money. You don't buy a new $40k vehicle to save money.

Perhaps people have a narrow interest in what they want to purchase, and among those few choices, the one they end up with is more fuel efficient or reliable than the alternatives they were considering?

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!