View Single Post
Old 12-24-2019, 03:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
Plasmajab
EcoModding Lurker

Dimples - '07 Ford Ranger Sport
90 day: 18.28 mpg (US)
As a former 07 TJ (Wrangler) owner, the milage was well. Horrible. But when I bought it I can honestly admit that fuel economy was not a concern to me at all. All I could think about was..

Hoo! Jeep! Off Road! Yay! Convertable offroader! Sweet. Loads of aftermarket mods! Yay!

The thought of fuel economy hit me for a few seconds when I had to fill it after only driving 400km. 14-18 mpg. Compared to my current 07 ranger and a lot of trucks at that time, it was a little worse, or on par.

There's a few different kinds of jeep owners.. One is the kind that buys a jeep because they want that all-weather convertible that loves the look and style of the jeep. This crowd buys a jeep because they want a jeep because its a jeep, they don't care much about the fuel economy of the jeep because they want a jeep.

Another crew of jeep owners are the true jeep owners. The ones that use the jeep for its jeep capability. Rock climbing, offroading, trailrunning, mudding. At low speeds, they really don't care about the fuel economy either.

The last group of jeep owners are the "mall crawlers". This rare breed of jeep owners are kind of like the first group, but they add on all sorts off offroad bits to make the jeep more capable but never leave the hard stand. Ever. Not once, other then for an instagram shot. And when these guys blow thousands into a build (or tens of thousands) some poor fuel economy isn't a concern.

But the jeep. It is not fuel economic. It never was and as long as it retains that iconic jeep shape (akin to throwing a brick through the air), it will never be fuel economic. It wasn't designed to be. Those complaining about its fuel economy didn't do the research first on the jeep.

*waaahh! I wanted a fuel efficient AWD car so I can commute in bad weather, but the jeep is so hard on gas!*

Well.. Yeah? Did you not read the window sticker? Or look it up online? If you want AWD and fuel efficiency there's literally a billion cheap SUV's and cars that will do that. Even under the jeep brand.

So I feel no sympathy for Jeep owners when it comes to fuel economy. Could the jeep be made with more efficiency in mind? Yep. Abseloutely. Will Jeep do it for the JK (Wrangler)? Not as long as they keep selling as well as they currently do.