View Single Post
Old 12-26-2019, 10:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
Ranger mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmguy64 View Post
Hey all,

I am new to the forum and I am in the process of making some different modifications to my truck to make it more aerodynamic.

Some top things on my list are:

- Lowering truck using DJM 4/5 kit - so expensive
- Lower profile side mirrors
- Flush Door handles
- Radio Antenna delete/relocation
- Front Air dam or lower valence panel
- Windshield wiper blade cowl or possible delete

If anyone maybe has a similar year Ranger or has made some of these modifications before, are there any other suggestions that you might have?

Thanks!
* we know that some vehicles aero drag does not respond to lowering.Not a sure thing.
*SCCA racing mirrors cut mirror drag by more than half on my T-100.I'd recommend pursuing this mod.
*While Subaru did measure a drag reduction for flush,aircraft-style door handles on their 1985 XT,and Tesla uses nothing but flush handles,you might as well do this,however I'm unsure that you'll see anything at the gas pump.
*the antenna delete will cit drag,albeit by quite a small amount.I unscrewed mine from the base,and used Alex-35-year caulk to streamline the base (I wasn't willing to remove the fender).
*The front airdam could help or hurt.It's not a sure thing.
*I did a cowl valence and it was good for delta - Cd 0.005.Not a great reduction.
BamZipPow (01-03-2020), gmguy64 (12-27-2019), MetroMPG (02-27-2020), slowmover (12-27-2019)