View Single Post
Old 12-26-2019, 02:58 PM   #306 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,391 Times in 3,365 Posts
I wonder, in that Tesla/trailer stunt, did they calculate the most time efficient speed to travel?

In ICE vehicles, there is no practical limit to speed vs efficiency with regard to time. Going 100 MPH will get you to the destination faster even if you have to stop more often to refuel, but that's because refueling is so quick and available. Not necessarily so with an EV. I once calculated the theoretical optimal speed to travel in a Chevy Bolt to be about 77 MPH for completing a long distance trip in the shortest amount of time. That car is limited to ~50 kW charging, and severely tapers charging rate shortly after 50% state of charge.

That brings me to the next question; did they determine the optimal amount of time to spend recharging and plan their stops accordingly? It's very inefficient time-wise to charge above a certain state of charge due to tapering. You end up being better off stopping more frequently but for shorter durations.

So, I wonder what the efficiency of the Tesla and trailer was at various speeds, and if there was any lower speed that would have been more time efficient to travel at? I suspect not since Teslas have a higher charging rate, but still curious to see the analysis.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (12-26-2019), oldtamiyaphile (12-26-2019)