View Single Post
Old 12-26-2019, 04:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
All I want for Christmas is my right lower posterior molar!

Every now and then I bite into something and I do not know if it is a clump of flour or what, but I always worry "What was that?! Did I lose a crown (for the third time)?!"

Well, it happened! At least it wasn't quite on Christmas, it was the morning after, just eating a waffle.

The last time this happened my dentist said that I somehow needed another root canal (?!). I did not realize that it, the implant, and the crown were separate ($1,000 each).

Good thing I didn't buy the Fit?

So, we are in the Phoenix area for Christmas. I saw my family and I am ready to go home(, try to see clients, and take care of projects). My old dentist charges the same whether or not you have insurance, although a friend says that if they do not offer a cash discount, find another dentist.

I am not finding much about that down here or back in Show Low, but of course there is another complication.

Do I want a CEREC crown or the standard one that takes weeks and the dentist needs to modify? CEREC is also called CADCAM because it uses CAD/CAM and they don't like you enough to use slashes. One office said that it used less material, so it costs less, although they charge more... It is also supposed to be more resistant to cracks and chips.

When I came home for R&R I went to a dentist that my sister knows for a cleaning. They said that I had an abscess and needed an immediate root canal. What they didn't say was that Tricare wouldn't cover it, so it would cost $1,600.

That was an expensive cleaning!

I walked out with a new crown, though.

A minor annoyance with the old version is when the dentist grinds it down subsequent dentists say "I see that you grind your teeth."

"No, a dentist did that."

"Don't lie to me boy!"

Dentristy is annoying. I wonder if I have spent as much on my teeth as I have on cars.

One place was supposed to have great discounts. They have a whole implant package for $3,500.

Crap. That is worse than my dentist!

I looked into a bunch of things and finally resorted to Groupon. I hear that is the worst way to find a dentist. If you use a dentist through Groupon you are going to have a bad day!

Here is a place in Scottsdale that charges $2,174 for everything: https://www.groupon.com/deals/az-dental-wellness-2

That is $174 more than the weirdo wanted for his lame Fit!

A place in Puerto Peņasco wants $1,999 for the same.
Scottsdale sounds closer!

Would you drive to Mexico to save $175? It is 361 miles from Mom's house--and 361 miles back.

Yeah, I will keep looking.

My sister got a hold of a dental assistant that is supposed to fix my crown as soon as he fixes his truck. The tooth shop will charge $125 and my sister wants me to tip him $75 for coming in on his day off.

That is four hours of dental assistant pay!

I keep wondering if he would tell everyone that I never showed up, he did not know what happened(, and pocket the $200).

We will also see how long the cement lasts, if that is even an option.

I hope that everyone is enjoying their holidays!

Last edited by Xist; 12-26-2019 at 04:30 PM..