View Single Post
Old 12-26-2019, 04:45 PM   #309 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,176 Times in 806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I wonder, in that Tesla/trailer stunt, did they calculate the most time efficient speed to travel?

In ICE vehicles, there is no practical limit to speed vs efficiency with regard to time. Going 100 MPH will get you to the destination faster even if you have to stop more often to refuel, but that's because refueling is so quick and available. Not necessarily so with an EV. I once calculated the theoretical optimal speed to travel in a Chevy Bolt to be about 77 MPH for completing a long distance trip in the shortest amount of time. That car is limited to ~50 kW charging, and severely tapers charging rate shortly after 50% state of charge.

That brings me to the next question; did they determine the optimal amount of time to spend recharging and plan their stops accordingly? It's very inefficient time-wise to charge above a certain state of charge due to tapering. You end up being better off stopping more frequently but for shorter durations.

So, I wonder what the efficiency of the Tesla and trailer was at various speeds, and if there was any lower speed that would have been more time efficient to travel at? I suspect not since Teslas have a higher charging rate, but still curious to see the analysis.
They actually did. If you watch the video early into the trip the father is saying he would rather skip the first charge as there is plenty of range to make the 2nd but the son is relying on the software to limit charging times by keeping it in a better battery charge state.

Not replying to you now but Aerohead. As far as speed they didn't keep it at 75. They did initially but saw they wouldn't even make some of the relays so they slowed down to 65. The semis were passing them. Would 55 or even 45 mph probably saved them time overall? Probably. But at 45 you would probably literally get a ticket on those interstates. They probably could have found back roads but then the distances would have been longer and the superchargers possibly non existent.

The trailer may have been poor aero, but it's better than normal, and probably 1/2 the frontal aera of normal as far as campers go.

They were just doing what a normal user would do, I'm sure they were back to 75 mph travel with that tiny camper once it was back behind the Ram.

This is why I question the reality of what it will be like to tow with the Cybertruck. Even with better range, I see that only happening with bigger battery. So any gain at one end is lost on the charging end when it comes to more than a couple hundred miles.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hersbird For This Useful Post:
aerohead (12-26-2019), redpoint5 (12-26-2019)