View Single Post
Old 12-27-2019, 01:12 PM   #25 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interstatement View Post
I don't know how much the cap weighs. I wish I did, but had no luck looking for weight stats on these. They were all built to order with many different options, so it would be tough to figure out without a scale.

While it definitely feels heftier than the cab-height fiberglass cap it replaced, the older gent I bought it from and me were able to lift it off of his truck and onto mine without help or undue strain or injury. The cap is built from 1x1 aluminum square tubing with .035 aluminum skin and a few aluminum extrusions forming the corners and hinges. My first deflector will likely be made from .040 aluminum, because I happen to have a decent-sized piece of it.

The curb weight of the 2WD Ranger Supercab is around 3,300 lbs, so I doubt it will even hit 4,000 lbs. post-modifications without a significant load onboard.
CT isn’t overrun with truck stops, but there are a couple at New Haven I’d park a couple of days to visit my son at grad school. CAT SCALE phone app. Otherwise at Springfield, MA.

Scale numbers are baselines to use as context.

My pickup carries a 1,200lb load without me in it (max fuel aboard). It took awhile, but I got the axle loadings equal. Within 40-lbs each corner.

Handling (as an aspect of steering) is big. Attend to the distribution FF/RR.

If a 100-mile trip for you at present is $14/fuel (2.60 average), my 24-mpg diesel pickup makes the same trip for $1.00 less ($3.00 average).

Perspective.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to slowmover For This Useful Post:
aerohead (01-08-2020), BamZipPow (12-31-2019), Interstatement (01-06-2020)