View Single Post
Old 12-31-2019, 03:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lemmy
Ecomodding Englishman

The Turdis - '05 Smart Fortwo Cabrio Passion
I know those engines well. Brilliant bits of kit, very robust if cared for. With skill they will give 70+ imperial MPG without any mods, but you've got to work for it.

I wouldn't mess around with cruise. It's not the best for economy, and these motors don't have much in the way or torque which is liable to make cruise of very limited utility. The engine uses a cable throttle control, so there may be universal kits available that could be pressed into action if you really want to do it.

Warm up time...some kind of electric grill block, that opens when the engine us up to temp would be my plan. If you're really keen you could make it thermostatic.

I'd be looking at aero optimisation including underbody, high tyre pressures, and ensuring the engine is in tip top order, which I reckon will take you to 80MPG imperial with a bit of luck and a following breeze. With such an economical engine already you would need to run 50 or 60,000 miles on LPG alone to even break even on the cost of the installation, so economically that's a dead end, at least with LPG prices here it would be (a little over half that of petrol).

2004 Smart Fortwo 0.7 petrol.
Motorbike.
Many, many bicycles.
2019 Volvo XC90 T8 - 400BHP plug in hybrid insanity.

All journeys I do under 10 miles are human powered - I make journeys, not excuses..
2019 mileage - 1900 by car, 7100 by bicycle.

Last edited by Lemmy; 12-31-2019 at 03:49 PM..