View Single Post
Old 01-19-2008, 04:11 PM   #15 (permalink)
buckyball
Truck wants a diet

Elhigh, thanks for the information. A few questions about your suggestions:

- Would the use of (full) fender skirts on the rear wheels eliminate the need for smooth wheel covers?

Also, by "full fender skirt", I assume you mean a covering spanning the wheel well opening parallel to vehicle's side. Or, do you mean a structure that partially fills in the well reducing the clearance between the well and the tire?

- Agree on the bumper openings (tow hooks, never use 'em)

- Thinking about a clear polycarbonate cover for the fog light openings - have to check the clearance so I don't melt the plastic

- Unfortunately, the mirrors *are* pulled in. you should see them extended

- The leading edge of the step is curved, but probably not in an optimal way, and I agree that it extends rather far out to the side. I have seen aftermarket retractable steps (both minimal per-door and full-length). I am concerned about added cost and weight, but will add that to the list of candidates.

- Agreed on the air dam. That plus grille & bumper blocks seems to have the largest impact on drag reduction, based on what I've read here so far.

- I like the design that Bondo is working on. Unfortunately, not available to purchase as of yet. (Go Bondo!)

- Not sure how to lower the truck without (a) compromising its towing and hauling capacity and (b) spending a lot of money. Open to input on that one.

- A belly pan has possibilities. Simple to implement.

- I am aware of the chip mfrs. I look askance on claims of simultaneous HP and fuel economy gains (unless I misunderstood).

Last edited by buckyball; 01-19-2008 at 04:18 PM..