View Single Post
Old 01-08-2020, 02:46 PM   #53 (permalink)
stefanv
EcoModding Lurker

2001 Saturn - '01 Saturn SL1
90 day: 41.68 mpg (US)
My first post in a while. Not because I've lost interested, but because my eco-mods have just been working fine, although I think I'll update my build thread with some info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njlou View Post
I would love to know how much fuel this forum has saved!!
I also would like to know if some of the ideas/techniques have been adopted by automotive engineers.
I've noticed that cars these days (compared to my 2001 Saturn) have less opportunity for modding. They already have wheel-to-wheel air dams, much smaller air intakes (a lot of "grills" are mostly solid when you look up close), and much closer fitting wheel wells. So yes, the ideas have been adopted, but I'm not sure they actually originated here.

Sometimes I wonder if there's actually a net fuel savings. I tend to drive just over the speed limit (which is mostly 80 km/h on the roads I drive). Most others seem content to drive the same speed as me, but there's always a handful that pass me on the way home, and it's almost always the biggest, baddest pick-up trucks and SUVs, roaring by. I wonder if they waste more fuel passing me than I save by driving sanely.