View Single Post
Old 01-09-2020, 08:07 AM   #24 (permalink)
EcoCivic
Master EcoModder

Update: I finished installing the heat exchanger setup and it works very well now that I finally got the AN fittings to stop leaking oil. I seem to have gained about 40-50 degrees on my oil warmup. The oil was warmed up to around 100 degrees at best once the coolant warmed up before I installed the heat exchanger, but now That I installed the heat exchanger the oil is warmed up to around 140 to 150 degrees once the coolant is warmed up, and within 5 minutes or so it is up to coolant temp of around 180-185 degrees. The oil temp always stays within a couple degrees of coolant temp while driving down the road.

This setup is also very effective at cooling the oil off. I ran the oil up to around 200 degrees and turned the radiator fans on, and within a minute or two it was back down to around 185 degrees. That will sure be nice in the summer here! I don’t know what the oil temp was reaching before because I had no gauge at that point, but surely much hotter than the coolant.

I am happy with the results of this 30 plate 4 X 8 inch heat exchanger brick, but with the results I am seeing from this I don’t think I would be happy with the results of an OEM style oil cooler between the oil filter and the block, I don’t think something with that little surface area that a lot of oil bypasses would do what I wanted. But if someone has a vehicle with that type of oil cooler and you would like to do testing to see how effective it is that would be cool!

Last edited by EcoCivic; 01-09-2020 at 09:40 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to EcoCivic For This Useful Post:
Daschicken (01-09-2020)