View Single Post
Old 01-09-2020, 10:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
conor_v
EcoModding Lurker

Jerry - '11 Chevrolet Volt
Wow it's been a while since I have been on here. Life got a bit crazy with returning to school but I found some time to update this thread.

After looking at all of the data I gathered from driving with and without aeromods I came to the conclusion that they just are not worth it. Aerodynamics are an important part of efficiency of a car however I was able to find far better results just by slowing down on the highway. I drive 55 mph instead of the typical 75 that most people drive and I am getting great results. Velocity in the drag equation is a squared factor, when compared to Cd and Area, which has a much greater impact on the drag.

The mods have cost me upward $80 in material alone and I don't see me recouping that cost in gas and electricity savings. I had a lot of fun during the process of experimenting and testing the mods and gained some good insight.

With the weather now pretty cold where I am, the impact of the mods compared to the impact of the weather is insignificant. The mods were also becoming a pain to keep in good condition. The miles put a lot of wear on the coroplast parts I used and it was getting tedious to keep up with the repairs.

Here's a link to all of my recorded data: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

I'm not calling this goodbye forever but it will be goodbye for now. I hope even just one person got something out of this thread. Thanks for all the support everyone!