View Single Post
Old 01-12-2020, 02:58 AM   #15 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
Quote:
While I agree, my situation is likely to be similar to "trailer made from back half of pickup truck"...
I'm just starting the design effort...probably looking at something that is in the 2500 lb range.
The thread title is Pusher Trailer: Legal Issues?. And "I was under the impression it was because it was a driven axle, but I have no idea where or what I actually read at the time."

So I'm supposing the intention is to drive the pickup truck axle. If you put a pickup truck bed on a trailer frame with a properly centered axle with trailer fenders, it wouldn't remind me of a chopped-up truck.

How do you propose to power the truck axle? Electric? The item I showed in Permalink #12 is a subframe out of an SUV (minus the rear mount and a crossbar ). You could get a similar item from the newer RAV4 and possibly others, with suspension and road wheels. Weld a trailer hitch directly to the subframe and add a battery bank and leave 1/4 ton for cargo capacity.