View Single Post
Old 01-12-2020, 06:52 PM   #28 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,176 Times in 806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldjessee00 View Post
Model 3 on a V3 Supercharger is the maximum charge rate and it depends on how empty the battery is. According to their tests, they could add 60 miles in just under 5 minutes... Wait 11 minutes and it will have added 150 miles of range... which would cover me for another 2 hours of highway driving.

But you must be either sprinting through the gas station, or wearing a kilt or something, to get all that done in under 5 minutes. Most people cannot do all that with a gas car in 5 minutes. With an EV, you can plug in and walk away. I know a few places that is illegal with a gas car...

I have taken more than 5 minutes to put 15 gallons in my car at some gas stations due to slow pumps...

Also, after driving for more than 2 hours, I want a bit of a walk around, but maybe I will need less 'downtime' if I had active cruise control and such.

I know when I was younger, I would go like 3 to 4 hours without stopping, but then again, young does not always equal smart...
With more stops you also have to consider the time to exit, find the supercharger, then connect, pay, charge, disconnect, then go back to the on ramp and get back up to speed. So now the 11 min stop is more like 1/2 hour total every 2 hours. Also if I do have the time to stop and smell the Rose's I don't want to be anywhere near the major interstates where those chargers can be found. I'm likely on some Montana back road where I'm lucky to find a simple level 2 charger and they will be few and far between. Likely I'd have to depend on the simple 110 outlets and how fast can they charge? Where I do want to stop and walk around is a fishing access or a trailhead where there won't even be a 110 outlet available.

When I do run the interstate it's likely a Missoula to Seattle run across Washington. One quick 15 minute stop in Ritzville is the norm (I actually no longer need that refeul with my new 750 mile range TDI) and maybe a 5 min rest stop outside of Ellensburg and one 5 min in Post Falls. With the rest stops they are right there with a quick exit and close parking, it's easy to get off take a pee and get back on in 5 mins.

What should be the plan would be to own a EV for day to day, then rent a ICE to go to Seattle, swap it out for an EV rental while there, and rent an ICE to get home. I just can't afford that. Not a good EV for everyday, especially a Tesla as it would have to be awd, and I would never go to Seattle if I was that deep into rentals.

PS I just realized this is all in a towing application. Then forget all the above, as pointed out the towing is just not going to work EV

Last edited by Hersbird; 01-12-2020 at 06:59 PM..