View Single Post
Old 01-13-2020, 03:11 PM   #19 (permalink)
cray54
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The thread title is Pusher Trailer: Legal Issues?. And "I was under the impression it was because it was a driven axle, but I have no idea where or what I actually read at the time."

So I'm supposing the intention is to drive the pickup truck axle. If you put a pickup truck bed on a trailer frame with a properly centered axle with trailer fenders, it wouldn't remind me of a chopped-up truck.

How do you propose to power the truck axle? Electric? The item I showed in Permalink #12 is a subframe out of an SUV (minus the rear mount and a crossbar ). You could get a similar item from the newer RAV4 and possibly others, with suspension and road wheels. Weld a trailer hitch directly to the subframe and add a battery bank and leave 1/4 ton for cargo capacity.
Yes, I'm planning to drive the axle, and I'm picturing the most reasonable axle to use for my configuration is a straight axle. As I've read through the replies, I think finding an appropriately sized manufactured trailer is the best path. Then, swap in a solid axle that matches, and work on a modified trailer instead of a scratch-built trailer.

In this case, my goal is to push a vehicle, but not with a specific power source in mind. This first round will be more for testing the concept. I expect the easiest way to control the load is to drive the system with an electric motor, but the least expensive way will be with a small gas engine. I'll be starting the design effort soon, and will see if any nice electric power options come up on the used market.
The Following User Says Thank You to cray54 For This Useful Post:
freebeard (01-13-2020)