View Single Post
Old 01-13-2020, 04:23 PM   #20 (permalink)
Tahoe_Hybrid
Master EcoModder

2020 - '08 Chevy Tahoe H
Last 3: 18.4 mpg (US)

2021 - '08 Chevy Tahoe H
90 day: 17.08 mpg (US)

2022 - '08 chevy Tahoe LT
Last 3: 14.38 mpg (US)

2023 - '08 Chevy Tahoe
90 day: 25.57 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cray54 View Post
I'm not quite sure I follow. I can't picture how the concept of torque steer (usually used to describe steering inputs during acceleration on an FWD car) would be applied to a solid rear axle on a trailer.

I think, like most design ideas, the parameters need to be set appropriately. When towing and slowing down, the trailer is loading the tow vehicle in a similar way to a pusher trailer. We don't see them jackknifing regularly, because the loads are reasonable. I don't think I share your primary concerns, but I think that is because I'm picturing much lighter loading than you may be picturing.
torque steer happens when drive wheels turn the car watch any Ford Mustang Crash Compilation and you will get the idea what that is

the first one demos that issue you can hear one rear wheel spin and the other has traction he quickly lost control and steered into the wall

on the tahoe i have it does not have torque steer but I can make the rear end slide out (drift)if i need to I have done it at low speed to prevent getting in an accident ( stupid pos tried showing off and nearly tboned me as he under steered on a dual left turn I was in the right-left turn lane )
close only by a couple of inches..

also this is a video of unstable trailers with a Ball trailer

Last edited by Tahoe_Hybrid; 01-13-2020 at 04:43 PM..