View Single Post
Old 01-14-2020, 10:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
What is the best vehicle for commuting?

I would start with a Civic, Insight, Corolla, or Prius with 100,000 - 200,000 miles. If you want to make the case for a Mitsubishi Mirage, I will accept it. If you insist that it is a TAHOE HYBRID I will ignore you. If you write two pages explaining that it is a semi I am going to need a tl;dr. If you recommend a motorcycle I will hear you out. Hopefully saddlebags would provide adequate storage.

I do not know how many miles I drove in 2016, but I can figure out how many miles I logged here. However, I figured that I drove 13,000 miles for work, and was able to deduct 8,000, which reduced my tax burden by about $500. I looked up gas prices in Phoenix and they were around $2 a gallon, so I spent $600 or less.

Hopefully less because I always try to go to the cheapest station, use discounts, etc.

Someone reached out to me with full-time job openings in Arizona, New Mexico, and North Carolina. This was through Indeed and I could only say Yay or Nay. I feel that too many people are unwilling to move for a full-time job in their field, grad school, etc., and they limit their own future, but I feel that I need to do the best that I can where I am.

The only job they have in Arizona is in Marana, north of Tucson, and when she went to tell me the pay (I told her that I would mention it in my Facebook groups), she said the information was unavailable. I looked up the school district and they are offering $12.58 for a job that requires a degree. This is the worst pay that I have seen by almost a dollar, but the minimum wage her went up to $12 this year, so you can move for a job in your field that would pay $12.58 * 8 * 180 = $18,115.20 or you could stay and find a full-time job that paid $12 x 8 x 250 = $24,000.

Hopefully you enjoy the job in your field more. Whenever I go to the dollar store or Walmart I ask the cashier if that is the best job they ever had and they always respond "Yeah right!" or something similar.

I posted in a speech Facebook group asking about low school pay and someone responded that she worked for $14.12 for an entire year. The thing is, my agency pays $45 an hour in Tucson, Flagstaff, and the Phoenix area, you just need to maintain a caseload, drive from client to client, and deal with cancellations. I have gone back and forth between home health and school and it seems like I always end up earning the same.

A woman complained "But the gas in home health....truly saps that money" and I responded that it depended on what you drove. Gas was not a concern in my Civic, but I know an SLPA that drives a full-sized pickup 50,000 miles a year, although she does not say how much is for work.
She spends $5,000 a year on gas.

The lady responded "I have a Jeep - it's pretty good on gas, but it's no Prius." and I stopped reading.

The 2019 Jeep Compass FWD 4 cyl, 2.4 L, Manual 6-speed is rated 23/32 and the 2019 Jeep Renegade 2WD 4 cyl, 1.3 L, Automatic 9-speed is rated 24/32.

Obviously, you would be better off with a cheap beater. They very well would be more reliable, too!

US News and World Reports says the Compass would probably start at at least $22,000 and:
Quote:
The 2020 Jeep Compass is a comfortable, capable off-road vehicle that comes with an outstanding infotainment system. However, its sluggish engine, poor fuel economy, and small cargo area drag it toward the bottom of our compact SUV rankings.
https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/jeep/compass

They say the Renegade costs $22,275 and:
Quote:
The 2020 Jeep Renegade possesses strong off-road capability and user-friendly technology, but its sluggish acceleration, poor fuel economy, and below-average predicted reliability rating push it toward the bottom half of our subcompact SUV rankings.
https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/jeep/renegade

What idiot buys a vehicle that is better off the road than on it for commuting?! Buy a cheap beater and leave the ornament at home! By the way, are these actual Jeeps, or rebadged Chryslers\Fiats?