View Single Post
Old 01-14-2020, 12:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
cowmeat
Master EcoModder

Princess Carriage - '20 Ford Explorer Limited

Silver - '22 Ford Maverick Hybrid XLT w/tow pkg
Maverick Hybrids
90 day: 41.3 mpg (US)
The Volt is optimal for my commute . . . well, technically my first Volt was since my commute was at the outer limits of its EV range.

I live a little over 19 miles from work so I can make the round trip on EV charge alone, but even if I need to drive the car out of town it still makes more sense than taking my wife's Explorer since the Volt gets 40 plus mpg running the ICE. And I've charged for free at work for a couple of years now!

At one time we were contemplating moving way closer to work, at which point I would have just ditched the car altogether and used a bicycle, but it didn't pan out so I have the next best thing

Quote:
I used to work with a guy with a 120 mile commute, of course done solo in an empty full size V8 4x4 pickup. I ran through the "get a beater like mine" scenario and it would have saved him ****tons of money but he wasn't having it.
I gave up trying to make sense of people's hilariously ridiculous life choices a long time ago.
Here in redneck territory (central Florida) I work with a bunch of guys with close to that commute who all drive big trucks. Two of them drove F150's at least 40-50 miles each way for over a decade, including the construction downturn when gas was over 4 bucks a gallon. One just traded his in for another brand new F150 and the other just traded his in for a new Jeep 4-door.

*Not that I have anything against trucks! I own a 2000 Chevy 3500 myself, but I only fire it up to tow a lawn trailer, boat trailer or to load it down with plywood or drywall or something too bulky or heavy to fit in the Explorer