View Single Post
Old 01-17-2020, 02:47 AM   #73 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I used to "rally" my '69 bug, and going down a gravel road and tapping the brakes made the car want to swap ends.

I let off the brake when a light turned green once, and the idle power of the truck in 4x4 mode was enough to spin the tires and go nowhere. Had to put it in low range to get 'er goin'.

Had 2 notable fishtails in that same truck. First time was highway 58 near the lake on a sunny morning. Felt like I spent half a minute countersteering and alternating between heading toward the opposite side guardrail, and the ponds on the right side of the road. Fortunately no traffic at that moment, so I could use both lanes of the road to get under control again. I'd guess I wagged the tail a dozen times before getting straight again.

Second time I thought for sure we were going off a snowy cliff. Attempted to slow well ahead of the corner, but that sent the truck into a fishtail and I wasn't getting anywhere trying to wrangle control despite not using the brakes at all. Last second idea, I shifted to N, the rearrend hooked back up, and I made the gentlest steering I could and took the truck to the last couple inches of road to make the corner.
Place trans in Neutral. Steer, only.