View Single Post
Old 01-17-2020, 11:47 AM   #75 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
I don't see why the RV AC that's used when driving isn't made to be electric from the beginning, and then just utilize that when parked.

If I were to design an RV, it would be a hybrid so that the engine could be downsized to the point that flat freeway cruising is the efficiency sweet-spot, with a battery just large enough to give extra oomph for accelerating and hill climbing, and also to go a day providing electricity to the living quarter. Off the top of my head, perhaps something like a 20 kWh battery. It would be a Prius-like drivetrain to eliminate the transmission with an e-CVT, and ability to recharge the traction battery from the main engine. That also eliminates the need for a genset.

There's got to be a way to cammback the rear and have it still be functional. Perhaps that's where the sleeping platform is positioned. Really though, a bed should fold away when not in use to maximize living space. Probably lots of room for improvement in both space utilization and efficiency in the RV world.

Toyota or Ford, and probably GM too could totally dominate the RV market if they wanted to.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!