View Single Post
Old 01-17-2020, 12:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,380 Times in 3,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by All Darc View Post
Medicine it's a garbage.
Please watch the entire documentary, how many people got no longer in real chronic pain by in pain due long opioids use, problem created by the drugs.
Most drugs in such cases are nearly as bad as street drugs.

Homeopathics for other side are just placebo, charlatanism.
But in some cases such placebo charlatanism can help people quite sh...t dangerous drugs.
I'm certainly critical of medicine. It's the area of science I believe is well behind other areas, and among the last to adopt new technology. We're just now transitioning to keeping electronic records for patients instead of stacks of paper. Even our electronic record keeping (in this country) consists of millions of individual databases, so if you go to one place for care, the next place won't have your records unless they explicitly transmit them to the other place (going through an inefficient translation process and duplicating the data).

This multiplication of information infrastructure is a large reason why healthcare in the US is so expensive, and it's why I would entertain a single-payer national health program despite my slight libertarian leanings.

Analytics are hardly used in medicine even though Walmart is using it extensively for unimportant things like which Star Wars merchandise to order more of. The difference is that Walmart has to compete with their competitors whose prices are transparent. That means every tool that can be leveraged gets used. In medicine, there's hardly any competition because you'll go to the hospital that is nearby and insurance prefers, see the doctor that is accepting new patients, and ask no questions about the cost of anything. Then the doctors don't want AI questioning their diagnosis because that reduces the perceived value of the doctor. Machine derived analytics aren't even used to aid doctors even though setting up such a system would be incredibly easy for a company like Google or Amazon.

Placebo is generally taught as a valid treatment in medicine. It's called sugar pill. If someone might benefit by "doing something" even when nothing is called for, prescribing a sugar pill, multivitamin, or some other innocuous thing can help.

I'll watch as I have time. Maybe while I do paperwork today.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
All Darc (01-17-2020), Xist (01-19-2020)