View Single Post
Old 01-18-2020, 10:51 PM   #59 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,396 Posts
A guy at work rides a onewheel. The advantage I see over a bicycle is the size. Here the trains only have spots for 4 bikes per car while the onewheel can be picked up and carried on board easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayden55 View Post
I think maximum for sale is 28 mph with pedals. Above that, it has to registered as a vehicle and most people shy away.
With that said it cost nothing to make a homemade "motor cycle" legal.
The limits for an electric bicycle are 750 watts (1 HP) and 20 mph on flat ground with a 170 lb rider. That is federal law 15 U.S. Code § 2085. Anything more is a motor vehicle

Some states allow up to 28 mph but the federal law is clear on the matter. "This section shall supersede any State law or requirement"

I don't worry about a ticket I worry about liability in the even of an accident. Liability for bicycles is covered by homeowners or renters insurance*. However a bicycle that goes over 20 mph is not a bicycle. It is a unlicensed, unregistered, and uninsured motor vehicle. I suspect you would pay any claims out of pocket and those could be hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars.

*I have first hand experience from a car / bicycle accident in which I was found liable. My renters insurance paid to fix the car.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
freebeard (01-18-2020), redpoint5 (01-18-2020), Xist (01-20-2020)