View Single Post
Old 01-21-2020, 01:28 PM   #136 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,372 Times in 3,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Curious: did that motivate you to mod the car further?
I did the basic low hanging fruit things like air the tires up to ~42 PSI, removed the rear wiper, and did a 100% grill block using pipe insulation. I also set a "finish" timer for charging so that the car would begin charging just in time to give me a full charge before I left.

I don't know what else I'd have modded other than aero, or perhaps to run a heater to warm the battery prior to leaving the house.

Often I'd need defrost anyhow, which requires the engine to run. Might as well run that early on until the windows are clear and the engine is warmed up, then use EV the rest of the way home.

I was giving a half-effort to convince work to provide 120v outlets and parking for plug-ins. It would have cost my company about 5 cents in electricity per day that I charged. They had many golf carts, so that shouldn't have been a hard request to accommodate, and I often used my car for work anyhow since they didn't issue IT a golf cart to haul equipment around campus.

As an aside, they had an old beater sedan that security would drive around the perimeter of campus every few hours. Probably pretty rough on the motor to cold start that often and only operate for 10min or less. A Nissan Leaf would have been perfect.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
MetroMPG (01-24-2020), RedDevil (01-21-2020)