View Single Post
Old 01-21-2020, 03:27 PM   #30 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post

Regarding the 40 degree lean angle; it might be a limiting factor for me on the streets, and would certainly be one on the track.

40 degrees is enough for the MP3 due to the nature of scooters. With the CVT integrated into the swingarm the machine is scraping hard parts before it runs out of lean angle. I plan on taking off the centerstand to get a bit more lean angle.

The Niken has 45 degrees or lean angle.

Bennetts has a great write-up on the Niken and addresses the lean angle like this:

Q: Hang on, so what happens if you plough into a corner and you want 48° of lean to make the exit? Will you just run wide?

A: Not necessarily.
If you’re at 45° of lean carrying too much speed (i.e. you need more lean) you have two options, both of which are surprisingly intuitive. You can either brake – the NIKEN has so much excess front grip it can manage braking while leaning and simply slows down, but holds the line – braking and steering forces are separated, much like BMW’s K-series.
Your other, more fun, option is to gas it up and powerslide the back end, oversteering and shortening the corner. This sounds and feels dramatic, but with traction control on minimum, or off, it’s easier than you think...

Reviews are here:
https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocia...tions-answered
https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocia...w-final-report

I would love a Niken (It is the same weight as my MP3!) but I’m not a buyer at $16,000. I also agree with the author that Yamaha missed the mark with the Niken. It either needs a windscreen, cruise control, heat grips, a better seat, and bags to be a touring bike or it been built on the MT-10 chassis with 160 hp to be a sport bike. Either choice would have helped justify the price.

I just hope we don’t have another Yamaha GTS1000 with the Niken. I bike with a unique design with clear benefits that gets scrapped after a couple years due to the price.