View Single Post
Old 01-26-2020, 02:38 AM   #123 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I have not worked on my Civic in months. I broke my Accord a few times and in the last two months I have had all kinds of drama, strep and dog flu, my grandfather died, I had all kinds of deadlines, applied to gradschool, and this:

I wanted to work on it Thursday, but I spent all day with my brother's appointments and taking care of things for him. I spent that night and Friday morning finishing notes and exchanging work e-mails. It was dark when I got back from work.

I spent most of today figuring out my mileage expenses for last year. I spent hours and hours doing it just to claim 1,878 miles.

So, I replaced the head gasket, but the crankshaft pulley bolt sheared. I extracted it and ordered a replacement, which may have been one of the fasteners that I lost, replaced, and then found the originals. I stripped a valve cover bolt hole, replaced it with a time-sert, the bolt stretched, so I ordered new ones, other bolt holes stripped, and I ordered Helicoils.

I shared a video where a mechanic taped down a shop towel to keep metal shavings off of the head.

Well, it didn't work, and I spent a horrible amount of time removing metal shavings and I worry that I missed some. Worse, I feel that I need to use a Helicoil on all seven bolt holes, and there is a terrible chance of getting more shavings in the engine.

I bought a cutting mat from the dollar store. I figure that I can glue it to the metal around the bolt holes and use that to keep the metal shavings out of the engine, but there are still a number of ways that could fail.

I could remove the head [again] and scrub it thoroughly and then blow it extensively with compressed air.

Would I want to remove the head before putting Helicoils on all of the bolt holes?

I keep wondering about this part of the thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Honestly, I do not have any idea what I would do if everything works out.

If the head is bad, here is a remanufactured one: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vre-2538/overview/

Car-part.com shows an HX head for $150 in Phoenix, one for $163.35 in Yuma, and one in Tucson for $300. I cannot find any heads through LKQ, but it only seems to show whether they have the inventory at that location. RockAuto has a head for $475.77 shipped.

RockAuto. Yay.

Jegs has one for $620. https://cylinderhead.com has one for $350 (+ shipping). AutoZone has one for $580.

I do not know how much another D16Y5 engine would cost, but it would be far more complicated than just the head, and I am sure that would be the end of this project.
Hopefully the $150 head, which is still listed, would check out, and I would only use the torque wrench on the bolts, to ensure that I do not strip anything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1lpLqJE.png
Views:	181
Size:	309.8 KB
ID:	27492