View Single Post
Old 01-26-2020, 08:19 PM   #129 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
So, the Thread-Locking Inserts from that page, not the Helical Inserts that it says are stronger?

Don't drill bits supposedly overheat if you don't lubricate them? I am sure that I did that, but putting grease everywhere you can is a good idea.

I think that I will just cover the whole thing with tape and then put a shop towel or whatever over that..
I’ve had good luck with what they are calling “easy to install thread locking inserts for metal” and “Tapping inserts for soft metal”. In both cases I tap the hole and lock tite the insert in place

I’ve had nothing but trouble with helicoils or what they are calling “helical inserts for metal”. In my experience they either come uncoiled when you try to thread them into the hole or the first time you try to remove the fastener threaded into them. They are a one-time use product to get something back together and sold off to another unsuspecting party. Doing it right doesn’t take any more time then screwing the next guy and threaded inserts are easier to install than helicoils.

Yes you should always lubricant a drill bit that is cutting metal

Coating the tap with grease is a century old trick that works but maybe you can get tape to stick to an oily cylinder head. No reason to do it the easy and proven way.