View Single Post
Old 01-29-2020, 10:20 PM   #8287 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,391 Times in 3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
His daughter did well: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esther_Dyson

That's the authenticity you talked about.

She married Harry and they have a kid.

The supporters are't the problem. It's the organizers that are lining up behind him that concern me.
Lol, that'd be my second guess as to who Meghan is. As much as I don't follow politics here, I'm even less exposed to Canadian politics. Last thing I think I remember is a woman was running against a man for governor of BC. Couldn't remember if her name was Meghan or...

Anyhow, I figure the organizers behind any major political figure are probably verging on devout fanatics of "the cause". You'll get people like me who think borders should be secured, because there's nothing that defines a nation more than the physical boundaries and adherence to the laws within. Then you get others who just don't like brown people. My guess is enough interviews with organizers behind a Trump campaign would reveal some in the latter camp with regard to "build the wall".

All that said, my WAG is that extreme positions are currently more accepted by the mainstream left than extreme positions are accepted by the mainstream right.

If I had to distill the libertarian (and to a lesser extent conservatives) vs authoritarian (and to a lesser extent liberals) mindset into the simplest thought, it would probably be that libertarians value the option to prosper more than being protected from failure. Authoritarians value safety from catastrophe more than freedom to prosper. Somewhere between the extremes is probably a healthy balance.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!