View Single Post
Old 01-31-2020, 01:09 PM   #422 (permalink)
Thorium-Synfuel
EcoModding Lurker

Black box - '94 Suzuki Cultus
Quote:
Originally Posted by teoman View Post
You switched from cordless drills to mobile phones and lost me.

If no phones are involved then yes. Your setup should word if I have understood it correctly i.e.

Have charging cradles at home to charge the 16v batteries. And install identical cradles wired in parallel to the lead acid battery. So you bring your batteries and plug them in to your car and off you go.

Should work but I see a tiny problem. As the batteries have a higher voltage than lead acid, they will constantly waste energy over charging your lead acid battery. Swapping the lead acid with capacitors would solve this issue.

Is your intention to go alternatorless or over volt the system so the alternator is effectively disabled.
I'll clarify. Using the 18650, high discharge cells commonly found in cordless drills but charging them in the discreet, form factor, 18650 mobile phone powerbank. An Example of which, attached Below.

The Intention is to go alternatorless and recycle the conventional lead acid, as it's 10 years old anyway and won't make it thru another winter.

The car should start without supercapacitors, as it's only a 1 liter geo metro and these 18650 batteries/cells are rated for high discharge, used in high torque drills, VTC5A.

I've used this same setup in an airsoft gun, with 2 of these in series(A 2s, 7.4V) lasting the entire day of play.
So after finding the performance adequate in an environment that places similar demands on these specific 18650s, its with this data point, that stacking the cradles up to make 16V, should not just work the car for a while but last at least a few years.

The only concern is balance charging. 8 cells at a time is pretty good, though preferably it would be all of those in the autostart-4s4p,cradle block, all 16 cells. I could see about connecting the battery charging circuits of the attached,below, if they start drifting from one another?
power bank 8*18650 case $4

Last edited by Thorium-Synfuel; 01-31-2020 at 01:27 PM..