View Single Post
Old 02-03-2020, 10:45 AM   #10 (permalink)
ever_green
Master EcoModder

gueff - '19 Mercedes Benz A250 4MATIC AMG
90 day: 30.55 mpg (US)
Depends on the car. For example, all the new BMW engines do not have a throttle body. instead they use continuous valve lift. I know this is only like 5% of the cars out there, but every car is different. what I have found with all my new cars is that one must be gentle with the throttle. anytime you attack the throttle or give it too much it either goes into positive boost pressure (turbos) and/or enriches the mixture (turbos and NA). Modern cars run especially rich to avoid damage on cheap 87 octane gas in America. On the other hand, electronic wastegate turbos with direct injection almost eliminates pumping losses (even without continuous valve lift). There is never any vacuum even under slightest throttle depression on modern turbo engines. At the same time spending too much time accelerating counteracts fuel savings you could have realized coasting or cruising. with modern cars I would just flow with the traffic acceleration wise to target speed and then do pulse and glide. With older traditional cars I would just get up to speed as soon as possible. If an average journey is 30min, you probably spend only 5 min of it accelerating and 25min cruising/coasting (so focus on the latter).