Thread: Snow Tires
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2020, 07:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
2016 Versa
EcoModding Apprentice

Little Blue Fuel Sipper - '16 Nissan Versa SV Sedan
Team Nissan
90 day: 45.75 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMichler View Post
I run snow tires year around (Nokian Hakkapeliitta). Those tires are snow rated, plus they claim low rolling resistance. I am currently running about 40 PSI in the tires.

I do know that my truck coasts better than my wife's Ford Focus, a friends GM Tahoe, and a government Chevrolet Colorado. I did one informal, not documented, test of tire pressure. It coasted noticeably better at 45 PSI than at 32 PSI, so I pumped up the tires and never looked back.
I figured running the softer compound snow tires year round would wear them out pretty fast on dry hot pavement. I remember as a child my dad ran bias ply snow tires during the winter and when spring came he'd take them off and store them till the next winter. When they came out with all season radials I remember dad talking about how much better they were than the bias ply snow tires he'd been using in years past. I've been driving 43 years and some change. I've never used snow tires and can't remember ever being in a position where I absolutely needed them over the all seasons. I'll admit the snow tires would have probably got better traction but I've driven on all seasons in snow up to about 15-16" deep and on ice in several ice storms. I used to live in the Piedmont of NC, we didn't get a lot of snow there but we had a few pretty good ice storms in the 25 years I lived there. Now I live in south central KY, we don't usually get more than 5 small to average snow falls per winter and just like NC we get the occasional ice storm. Thus far this winter we've only had one dusting of snow and the ground was so wet then it lasted only as long as it was snowing.