View Single Post
Old 02-06-2020, 04:11 PM   #8366 (permalink)
hayden55
Master EcoModder

Sport Utility Prius - '10 Toyota Prius II
90 day: 52.98 mpg (US)

300k Sequoia 4WD - '01 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4wd
90 day: 20.19 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I wonder how many km^2 of mylar or similarly reflective material would need to be deployed in orbit around the earth at a given optimal altitude to counteract the warming, bringing about stasis in temperature?

If that were feasible, then I wonder how much further the step would be to expand/contract the light attenuator as needed? Maybe even fully deploy to reduce the severity of developing storms. We'd need to solve the problem of the mirror acting as a solar sail and getting blow away. That means it would need periodic energy inputs to counteract the push from the sun. Perhaps there's some stasis point between the earth and sun where the gravity of the sun wants to pull mirror toward it, but the push from the sunlight perfectly balances that out.

From something I just read:

It might be a good idea to set up camp on the moon just to learn how well we can figure out how to manufacture stuff on there and then cheaply send it out into space due to the low gravity and zero atmosphere.

The article I read also mentioned this, which I think about an absurd amount of the time:
Have you seen the post where they talk about large cities being much warmer than areas around them has a lot to do with the road surfaces being black, all the roofs being black, and even solar panels being black. lol
The surface reflectivity being a ton lower with a sizable portion of the local land area ends up warming the area. I think NYC now makes it a legal requirement to paint your roof white now to combat some of the increased energy absorption lol.

The Following User Says Thank You to hayden55 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (02-08-2020)