View Single Post
Old 02-06-2020, 11:48 PM   #89 (permalink)
M_a_t_t
マット

The Van - '95 Chevy Astro Cl V8 Swapped
Team Chevy
90 day: 7.84 mpg (US)

The new bike - '17 Kawasaki Versys X 300 abs
Motorcycle
90 day: 71.94 mpg (US)

The Mercury - '95 Mercury Tracer Trio
Team Ford
90 day: 34.35 mpg (US)

Toyota - '22 Toyota Corolla Hatchback
90 day: 40.11 mpg (US)
I would like your guys thoughts about some mod ideas I had.

Side skirts/wheel boat tails:
Currently the body curves to the inside where the tires are. The rear wheel skirts that are currently on the car show roughly where the two lines cross (also shown in sec A-A). I had to bow the lower edge of the covers to get them to clear the wheel that low. The rear bumper has a more aggressive line towards the inside than in front of the rear wheel. So the wheel pokes out higher up than it does in the front.

I was thinking I should keep the shape of the skirt thats on the car now, but add a section that extends the body line out along the plane of the wheels. The front airdam currently ends maybe 1/2 inch out past the wheel plane. I think if I could extend this line using front wheel skirts, side skirts, extending the rear skirts, and adding a boat tail after I would see max benefit (in this area of the car). Ignoring problems like opening doors and what not, would this be the best way to attack this section of the car? The other alternative is to extend the pinchweld as a side skirt and use mudguard style mounts to make a smooth transition to the side skirt. I've made a sketch to show how the body lines are currently. The boat tail starts at the shape of the rear bumper so it is still accurate in that regard.

NOT TO SCALE

Hood height:
I know testing has shown negligible results, but on paper it makes sense and I have a practical purpose for this. I want to add a solar panel on the hood and figure mounting in this location would be least detrimental to aerodynamics. The base of the windshield does see turbulent air (seen during rains) and I can see the whole wiper (blade to arm), so adding the thickness of the wipers to the hood and tapering it towards the front won't hurt visibility. I don't however know how to handle the fenders. Should I attempt a rework for better flow around the sides or can I shape the hood such that in combination create better flow? I am considering redoing the fenders for the front wheel skirts anyway so it wouldn't necessarily add any extra work. I was thinking basically the same as Aeroheads truck is shown here if I were to leave the fenders alone.

Last thing that is on my mind: does the side taper in the back still apply to the front? If I make a nose should the side taper be ~10 degrees?

Thanks,
Matt
1981 Kawasaki KZ650 CSR
1983 Kawasaki KZ1100-A3
1986 Nissan 300zx Turbo 5 spd
1995 Chevy Astro RWD (current project)
1995 Mercury Tracer
2017 Kawasaki VersysX 300
2022 Corolla Hatchback 6MT

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6s...LulDUQ8HMj5VKA

Last edited by M_a_t_t; 08-29-2021 at 12:52 PM..