View Single Post
Old 02-07-2020, 09:45 PM   #88 (permalink)
jimmylomax
EcoModding Lurker

Red FIRE Racer - '08 Honda Fit Sport
90 day: 48.54 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
What does "heated catalyst" mean? Is that an electrically heated pre-CAT kinda deal like some manufactures have experimented with?
Must be. That panel is the standard OBD2 diagnostic screen for all vehicles. In the state of Missouri you cannot pass inspection with more than one "Incomplete" (for my model year).

I noticed in my Haynes manual they went to two catalytic converters on the Fit in 2009. I believe this is the more common approach of getting into closed-loop mode as quickly as possible.

"In 1995, [] an electrically heated catalyst [] was used in [] the BMW 750i. Heating coils inside the catalytic converter assemblies are electrified just after the engine is started, bringing the catalyst up to operating temperature very quickly to qualify the vehicle for low emission vehicle (LEV) designation. BMW later introduced the same heated catalyst []

Some vehicles contain a pre-cat, a small catalytic converter upstream of the main catalytic converter which heats up faster on vehicle start up, reducing the emissions associated with cold starts. A pre-cat is most commonly used by an auto manufacturer when trying to attain the Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle (ULEV) rating, such as on the Toyota MR2 Roadster." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cataly...Warm-up_period
The Following User Says Thank You to jimmylomax For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (02-10-2020)