View Single Post
Old 09-17-2008, 11:15 AM   #40 (permalink)
tasdrouille
Master EcoModder

The Guzzler - '08 Hyundai Elantra GL
90 day: 33.12 mpg (US)

Got Soul? - '11 Kia Soul 2U
I don't get why it's not enforced to a point that people don't speed because they know they'll get caught and get a hefty fine if they do. Around here, speed tickets are a significant source of revenue for the government and I don't see why a government would leave that money on the table.

I used to drive "fast", my tdi fuel log is there to prove it. At first I found it really hard driving 55 mph or less. It took a couple of weeks but I got used to it. Now 55 mph just feels normal and 75 mph feels like I'm driving really fast. Not so long ago I drove 8 hours at 40 mph on rural roads. I could cross Canada at 55 mph no problem now. It's all a matter of perspective and getting used to it.

It is my opinion that when addictive elements are involved (speed, oil, drugs...) people need to have a very strong external incentive to quit. Gradual price increases (frog in raising temp water analogy) or personal health and safety are usually not strong enough to get people to quit until it's too late.

More efficient cars or the lack of enforcement are no excuses to drive fast. You are wasting energy versus driving slower. IF it becomes a society choice to reduce energy consumption, sacrifices should be made accordingly at an individual level and infractions should be repressed.

www.HyperKilometreur.com - Quand chaque goutte compte...