Thread: Leaf got away
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2020, 03:12 AM   #12 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,391 Times in 3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
I a way it seems that rebate sort of sucks because all the Oregon dealers are doing is adding $2500 to the price. I suppose maybe it will suck in all the EVs from surrounding states by encouraging higher bids for Oregon dealers at the auctions. Then it will even drive the used EV prices up outside of Oregon. I would be all over a few $6500 EVs I have seen if I could get another $2500 off.
Not quite, but that's generally what subsidies do. You have to meet a certain "median or below" income threshold to get $2,500 off, so the prices aren't increased the full amount. You are right that it's pulling in CA vehicles though. Once those HOV stickers expire on the older EVs, the value plummets. Then you get an artificially high market up north. That 2nd vehicle I looked at had just been received and wasn't detailed yet, so it had the CA HOV stickers still attached. I asked where it had come from, and the salesman told me Fremont auction. Probably a lease return. I still don't know why manufacturers would rather sell their lease returns for pennies on the dollar when they could simply offer a more enticing residual, or even selling the vehicle themselves on the used market. How does the auction add value?

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!