View Single Post
Old 02-11-2020, 06:01 PM   #7314 (permalink)
thingstodo
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedsmd View Post
Hi All
I have one of Paul's IGBT DC controllers (stinky diaper?). Three times lately the controller has dropped out while I was driving. Each time it was during acceleration, the controller led remains on, the controller contactor remains closed and high voltage is available. It just stops sending power to the motor.

Power can be restored by turning the ignition switch off than back on. After the expected 8 second delay power restores and we drive on as if nothing happened.

Thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
Jerald
I'd keep a laptop in the car, one that has a USB to serial converter and a terminal emulator. The terminal emulator can capture serial data from the controller and store to a file. I think Hyperterminal called it 'Ascii download'. You can configure what data you want logged to the screen, and how often. I normally logged pretty much everything once per second.

I can look up my old log configuration and upload if you are interested in this method.

When the controller has a fault, it logs a code with as much information as Paul could gather .. before it stops sending power to the motor. The logged data helps with throttle position, amps per phase, speed, etc. This may be useful for troubleshooting and it may not. The laptop connected and seeing the fault code is the important part to start with.

That will get you to the correct area in the code (search for the fault number) or the description may help.

My first guess would be overtemp from one of the IGBTs. I had that fault a lot during my testing, mostly because I didn't have liquid cooling running. If your radiator is fouling, or your chill plate is not flowing well throughout the whole area ... things get hot. Are you liquid cooling?

I don't remember if the contactor drops out during an overtemp. I thought it did ... but having a laptop connected with a serial connection would be my first step for sure.

You might want to watch some of my old testing videos and check for contactor dropping out, and the various fault codes that showed up. Most of these I was testing the AC controller, but I was using a DC motor as a 'test load'. Sometimes a DC controller and the DC motor (I was trying to get over-current on the AC controller .. I did eventually get up that high )

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...b29WdCLN016Qzw
The Following User Says Thank You to thingstodo For This Useful Post:
jedsmd (02-11-2020)