View Single Post
Old 02-12-2020, 07:53 AM   #49 (permalink)
aardvarcus
Master EcoModder

Deep Blue - '94 GMC Suburban K2500 SLE
90 day: 23.75 mpg (US)

Griffin (T4R) - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5
90 day: 25.43 mpg (US)
Tahoe Hybrid,

No, this vehicle is getting a complete belly pan not an air dam. The belly pan is presently over 50% completed made from bent ¼” aluminum, I have from the front crossmember all the way back to the rear axle under the center of the vehicle excluding under the exhaust. The nose, side steps, and rear diffuser are the parts that remain to finish. The only “air dam” I plan are the tire spats made from conveyor belt.

Freebeard,

I have and regularly read Julian’s book. You are correct, the S shaped step is the shape typically regarded for front belly pans generating downforce. I kind of tried to approximate it with how the front of my existing belly pan drops down to go under the front differential. I am balancing that with approach angle and trying to ensure I don’t hang up my front end while off-road as this vehicle does see rough terrain. The initial state of the vehicle allowed for almost all the air entering both grills to flow out the bottom of the bumper freely, so just having anything down there, even the improper shape, will be less lift than the factory state. The piece I am missing right now is the frontmost foot, extending from the first crossmember to the nose of the vehicle.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aardvarcus For This Useful Post:
aerohead (02-19-2020), BamZipPow (02-12-2020), freebeard (02-12-2020)