View Single Post
Old 02-12-2020, 03:51 PM   #101 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,655 Posts
real/CAD...............

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
For reals? CAD simulation? Thought experiment?

Needs NASCAR roof fences?

I'm looking forward to this.
In 1980,SAE published a 2-book set on fuel economy.They had the truck aerodynamics research data from NASA and Freightliner.Hucho is included as well.NASA's is available online.With these materials,along with the GM/AeroVironment Sunraycer data/Goro Tamai' The Leading Edge,MIT solar racing team book,we have enough material to analyze virtually any vehicle combination,by reverse-engineering,and careful estimations.That's all engineers can do.All the formulas are at the top of the Aero Forum page,with the calculator.Unless your a millionaire,there won't be any CFD that would do us any good.
Roof fences would only threaten rollover safety I'm afraid.The less transverse flow separation the better.I wouldn't really call it an experiment,this is mechanical engineering.Figure 6-hours to do a single trailer combination.One drawing took over 20-hours.
So far,the take-away is,there's nothing wrong pulling a trailer with an EV.All the problems are with the trailers.Even the Bowlus is 'wrong' by 50%.

freebeard (02-12-2020), Grant-53 (02-12-2020), ldjessee00 (02-19-2020)