View Single Post
Old 02-17-2020, 08:19 AM   #164 (permalink)
All Darc
Banned

If I got it right, they will start (try) to create manufacture technology for mass scale production of the "glass" electrolyte, not the battery itself yet.
The electrolyte can be used in basic battery architecture, I think. The new battery itself (Goodenough&Braga's architecture) have it's own difficults for scale-up.

Even with basic architecture it's already a great thing, since would have more enegry density (2x or 3x), use no cobalt and have no fire hazard.

Lithium ion it's the problem of actual battery, since it reduces capability. Using the solid state electrolyte the capacity more than double since it uses lithium metal and not lithium ion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Sounds like all the other claims of a breakthrough. It's never "we've figured out how to increase capacity by 1.3x".

There were no details on how that is achievable, so the video told us nothing except to wait and see if anything ever happens.

My estimation is that batteries need to get twice as good as they currently are for them to really knock ICE off the vehicle throne.

Last edited by All Darc; 02-17-2020 at 08:27 AM..