View Single Post
Old 02-17-2020, 02:54 PM   #19 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,177 Times in 807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
We get it, you don't like Tesla, and especially the aesthetics of the CT. You might even be right that people's estimate of the Cd are off quite a bit.

The point of the design wasn't just to maximize range. It's supposed to cost less to manufacture, and is meant to fill an aesthetic different than traditional trucks, which all look the same.

I thought it was hideous when I first saw it, now I would prefer that look. I'm looking forward to exploring logging roads and not worrying about scratching the paint.
But the OP disparaged the GM chief with the guess that the only way to make something aerodynamic would be to follow Teslas pattern. I think you are also projecting as to why the Cybertruck looks like it does. It may have nothing to do with costs or ease of building, or strength, or aerodynamics. Musk may have literally been stoned and sketched something on a napkin at dinner and said, "Give these assholes this! You know I hate F-ing trucks!" so they built a prototype and threw out some possible dream numbers. My theory is as good as anyone else's. I do like the Cybertruck if it is delivered on time with all the features promised at the price listed. I also like any other makers delivering what they promise. Even better when they deliver more than promised sooner than promised.