View Single Post
Old 02-21-2020, 07:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Vman455

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 51.62 mpg (US)

Tycho the Truck - '91 Toyota Pickup DLX 4WD
90 day: 22.22 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,797 Times in 937 Posts
I disagree with a lot of the above; Toyota claims a drag coefficient of 0.25 for the Prime, identical to the 3rd gen 2010-2015 Prius. There's room for improvement.

The Prime has active grill shutters, but a permanent partial grill block might still be helpful. There's no rear wiper on the Prime already, and no air curtain ducts. Trying to add internal ducts would be quite difficult since Toyota puts the signal lights right where the inlet should go. If you don't mind the look, I added external air curtain ducts in front, and am fabricating a similar design for the rear this weekend.

As far as other unobtrusive modifications: remove the passenger mirror (I think California requires the driver's mirror). Swap on some lowering springs. Enlarge the wheel air dams. Add fairings to those air dams from another car (I used the fairings from the 2014-2018 Ford C-Max Hybrid). Move the antenna inside the car and fill the hole in the roof or wrap over it. Increase the closed area of the wheel covers. That's about it for the easy stuff; then, you're looking at building a spoiler extension or tail, maybe like this guy.